HPI Reflection

While my most recent H&P is obviously longer and encompasses a more complete ROS, PE, and SOAP, I think that my narrative language is more confident. This is a double-edged sword though as I tend to over-editorialized and include unnecessary details. I am still figuring out which abbreviations are acceptable to include from other classes and teaching materials.

I sense that my history-taking has become more systematic while also cultivating a more seemingly-organic, conversational affect with my patients.

In writing my HPI, I am able to construct a more clearly structured summary in my mind’s eye before I put pen to paper. This is helpful in both structuring my interview as well as my documentation.

In terms of performing the physical exam, I think that my comfort and confidence in talking to patients and laying hands on another person is my strongest asset. I would attribute this to my background in EMS and the bouquet of traumas, pathologies, and bodily fluids that I’ve already encountered. I have also become more mentally and physically organized in my head-to-toe approach to examining the human body. On the other hand, my overconfidence can lead to details being overlooked and having to go back and re-examen certain body systems.

Moving forward, I must be diligent in maintaining a detail-oriented mentality with a confident and approachable demeanor. With more repetition and a stronger background in pathophysiology and clinical medicine, I anticipate that I will grow exponentially as a clinician during my upcoming clinical rotations.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes